Do you want to learn to drive a small powerboat? Would you like to volunteer on a safety boat to support your local club? Or perhaps you’re looking to get qualified as an Instructor or Assistant Instructor? The Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy offers Powerboat Handling, and Safety Boat Operator courses under the Yachting Australia Powerboat training scheme, delivered by accredited instructors with extensive boating and training experience.
Australian Sailing Powerboat courses offer:
- On-water training in the safe operation of powerboats, including launching, recovery over a ramp or beach, anchoring, manoeuvring at slow & high speed, man overboard procedures and more.
- Theory training in coastal navigation using charts, marine buoyage, marine regulations, safety procedures, basic maintenance, marine knots and more.
For more information, contact Leigh at the Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy on 9534 0059 or 0412 196 301, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course combines the skills taught under the Start Powerboating course with more advanced skills, especially in confined areas such as marinas and in swell and waves.
You will also learn more about engines and types of craft, chart navigation and onwater navigation practice during a passage exercise. We are conducting these courses monthly in 2019 subject to minimum student numbers.
The Powerboat Handlers Course is nationally recognised and is seen to be the industry standard boating course for sailing instructors, coaches and club volunteers. We also have a number of boat owners and their families whom have undertaken the course, as it recognised for licencing as well as providing hands – on boating training with nationally accredited powerboat instructors in a safe environment.
This course will also help prepare you with the knowledge required for obtaining your boat licence from Vic Roads, if you have your boat licence already, there still will be plenty for you to learn.
Here’s what some recent participants said about our Powerboat Handlers Course:
- “enjoyed both the theory and practical (excellent boats to use)” Paul, Aug. 2017. Existing boat licence holder
- Best parts of the course: “the exercises eg. docking the boat, steering the boat, becoming familiar with the boat, going over to Williamstown. Really enjoyed the course! Thank you.” Melanie, Jan. 2017. Existing boat licence holder
- Best parts of the course:“ being on the water and actually handling a boat with support and supervision. The detail of the theory was great.” Rosemary, June 2017. New to boating.
- “ (The Powerboat Handlers course) should be the standard way to become licenced. Thank you! Very happy with what was covered.” Paul, Aug. 2017. Existing boat licence holder
- Best parts of the course: “Practical application. Very helpful in pulling theory into one place… excellent weekend learned so much. Great instructor”. Dawn, June,2017 Yacht club volunteer.
- “ Loved it !” Michael, June 2017. New to sailing.
- Reasons for undertaking the course: “Practical experience live interaction with instructor – you learn more and get to ask questions” Alex, Aug. 2017. Existing boat licence holder
- “fantastic course. I was worried I would struggle to keep attention but the course was engaging the whole way” Brad, Jan 2017. New to boating.
- Reasons for undertaking the course: “I wanted to know how to pilot a boat. Also I am near the water nearly every day.” Maxim, Age 13, Jan. 2017. New to boating
- “Instructor (name) was great. Very informative, patient and very clear when taking us through both theory and practical” Phillip, June, 2017.
- ” Wonderful delivery (instructor name).Very professional & personal.Really enjoyed it!” Peter, March 2017. Teacher in support of school on water program.
Duration: 20 hours (weekend course; one day of theory & onshore skills and one day on-water training or Night courses: Two mid – week nights & one weekend day on water).We are conducting these courses monthly in 2017 subject to minimum student numbers.
Cost: $398 per person
Please note: There will be a price rise from 1st Sept 2018
For more information, see the course overview.
To enrol in a course or to find out upcoming course dates, please download the booking form below:
SAFETY BOAT OPERATOR
This course will develop your powerboat skills so that you can support all water-based activities at sailing clubs, national sailing events, schools and recreation centers. If you want to become a qualified sailing instructor, Australian Sailing Coach (now mandatory) or official, this course is ideal.
Our next course is 22nd May 2020
Please note our next course will be Friday 22nd May evening and Sunday 24th May (all day boat handling) subject to bookings. These courses are excellent for teaching higher level powerboat skills necessary for all water sports, but particularly to support high performance sailing events and class regattas. These courses are conducted infrequently in Victoria, so please don’t miss your opportunity!
You’ll learn about race course design, practice on-water rescue of dinghies, and get an awareness of techniques to support kite surfers and kayaks. You’ll also discover how to safely rescue or re-right other craft, recover persons from the water, and where to position your boat on a race course. Your close quarter docking, holding station and anchoring/kedging will also be practiced.
At least 6 months powerboat driving experience to the standard of the Powerboat Handling Qualification is required to undertake this course, and participants must be at least 16 years old. For more information, see the course overview.
Duration: 12 hours (1 evening theory session and 1 full day on the water)
Cost: $295 per person
For more information contact Leigh at the Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy
Phone: 03 9534 0059
Mobile: 0412 196 301