Coastal Navigation Course
Our Coastal Navigation course is essential for any crew person participating in coastal or offshore yachting. It is considered mandatory for anyone who wishes to become a skipper and extend their boating adventures beyond protected waters. You will learn about chart plotters, the Automatic Identification System (AIS), compass use, setting courses, and much more. Practical navigation exercises are conducted throughout the course using charts. Student fees include your own copy of Australian navigation chart AUS143 Port Phillip which students retain following the course.
Subjects included the course are:
- Understanding marine charts, signs and abbreviations, tidal streams and coastal information
- Setting courses to steer (CTS), allowing for wind tides current and leeway
- Effective use of the steering and hand bearing compass, making adjustments for magnetic and compass errors.
- Methods of position plotting using compass, depth sounder, ships log, sextant
- Global Positioning System ( GPS) use and functions
- Weather reports and forecasting services available
- Lights and shapes, precautions to be taken when sailing at night.
- Buoyage and IALA systems.
- Essential rules and the Navigator’s responsibility.
- AIS (Automatic Identification System) What is it and how to use it to improve your personal safety & navigation
- Chartplotter usage. How to use these systems and how they differ to chart usage
Our guest lecturer is Stuart Marshall, an experienced yachtsman and former owner of his own sailing school.
Duration: 6 x 3 hour evening sessions (one evening per week). 7 pm to 10 pm.
Cost: $385 per person – includes extensive handouts (over 80 pages), use of classroom navigation tools and a marine chart of Port Phillip (AUS 143)
For more information, see the course overview. Students are encouraged to bring any chart navigation tools such as a Breton protractor, parallel rule or chart dividers to class. These tools will be required to complete homework navigation tasks.
Please note this course is limited to a maximum of 14 students and requires a minimum of six students to commence. To enrol in a course or to find out upcoming course dates, please download the booking form below, or contact the Training Office on (03) 9534 0059 or Leigh on 0412 196 301.
For more information contact Leigh at the Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy
Phone: 03 9534 0059
Mobile: 0412 196 301