What do I need to bring?
It’s recommended that you have a dedicated bag for your sailing gear, containing:
- Suitable sun smart clothing – rash tops, board shorts
- Wetsuit – if you own one
- Shoes – that can be worn on the beach and in the water
- Warm jacket – windproof
- Hat, sunscreen, water bottle & morning tea
- Change of clothes
Do you have to be a member of RMYS to participate?
No, one of the greatest things about learning to sail at RMYS is that you don’t have to be a member of our club.
Do you have to be able to swim to participate in a sailing course?
It’s best if you do have some ability to swim; however you will be wearing lifejackets at all times while on the water.
Will I be sailing in a boat by myself?
When participating in Start Sailing 1, participants will be sailing in pairs. Although if you would like to sail by yourself, your instructors will do what they can to make it happen.
How can parents/guardians get involved in learning to sail?
Learn to sail programs are run by fully qualified Yachting Australia Instructors. The instructors plan the day, and make sure all participants are safe and having fun while developing their skills and confidence on and off the water in a safe environment.
If you would like to get involved in learn to sail programs, there are many off water roles available. Parents/guardians can:
- Promote Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy to friends and family
- Encourage and support participants in learning new skills and meeting new friends through the programs
- Volunteer at the club for off-water roles, for example, helping to bring boats up the beach
For more information contact Leigh at the Royal Melbourne Sail Training Academy on 9534 0059 or 0412 196 301, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org