Hey Folks: This weeks questions. Send answers to email@example.com
1.Sail Trim: Which of these shows the Gybe car in the correct position
2: Navigation: Convert the following true bearings to compass bearings. Variation=7°W, Deviation = 4°E
3: I.R.P.C.S: Correctly identify these day shapes
4. Weather: Correctly name the below weather systems (there are two names for each)
5. Crossword: Theme – Sailing Terms 2. Try this online crossword to kill some time. DOWNLOAD
6. General Quiz: Sailing
6. Mystery Object
Week 18 – Answers
1.Navigation – Chart work
What is a “cocked hat”in regards to navigation and why do we get it,which image below represents this? C – Due to motion of boat none of the bearings are likely to be completely accurate thus resulting in the “cocked hat”effect
2. Sailing Rules: Collision
You are boat A in the below diagram, how can you tell if you are going to collide with boat B– take a bearing on the vessel at regular intervals, if bearing does not change you will collide
3. I.R.P.C.S – Lights.
Correctly identify the cut off angles of the lights below
4. General Knowledge
1. Vertical clearances, such as bridges, will always be shown on tidal area charts measured at what?
a. height designated by the Coast Guard equal to the median clearance at high tide divided by the median clearance at low tide and multiplied by two.
b. low tide.
c. sea level.
d. mean high water.
2. A catboat is a sailboat with what?
a. three jibs
b. no cabin and the rudder amidships
c. the mast placed far forward and no foresail
d. two hulls
3. What is freeboard?
a. A song by Leonard Skynard.
b. Getting on board without a ticket.
c. The distance from the gunwale to the waterline.
d. A keel that retracts into the cabin.
4. What happens if you’re sailing in a regatta, and cross the starting line before the race starts?
a. you raise a white burgee with a red cross indicating an admission of guilt and an apology to the other participants
b. you must take a 720-degree penalty turn
c. you must sail completely back across the starting line before continuing the race
d. you are disqualified
5. What does a buoy, in inland waters with a red horizontal band over a green horizontal band indicate?
a. A marina with diesel services.
b. The direction of the preferred channel.
c. A swimming area.
d. A sunken vessel.
6. If you’re sailing at night on a starboard tack and see a single red light off your starboard bow, what should you do?
a. Sound two long and two short blasts on the horn
b. Steer to port
c. Maintain your course and speed
d. Check your depth finder
5. Crossword: Theme – Sailing Terms 1. Try this online crossword to kill some time. DOWNLOAD
6. Mystery Object