Many of you will now be aware that Parks Victoria is seeking public input on concept designs for a new St Kilda Pier. There have been information postcards and folders placed in the Olympic Bar and at the office counter, and more information is available here https://engage.vic.gov.au/new-st-kilda-pier
Parks Victoria have concluded that the existing pier is too far gone to re-build (concrete cancer) and have proposed two concepts, one straight and one curved. Please look at the brochures and the website where you can see more detailed plans. Bear in mind these are concepts only and not detailed designs. They are seeking a budget allocation next year from the State government but have a 5-10 year timeframe for the renewal.
As a key stakeholder, RMYS has held two meetings with Parks Victoria, and the Facillities Committee and GC have reviewed the concepts. We strongly urge as many of our members as possible to send a submission on the plans through the website https://engage.vic.gov.au/new-st-kilda-pier . Submissions close on 20 October 2017.
The Squadron will also put in a more formal submission, the key points of which will include:
- Strong preference for the straight option, particularly due to the high likelihood of dangerous wave overtopping on the curved concept where it is close to the rockwall at the kiosk end
- Critical need to ensure that all the Squadron’s services to the marina (water, sewerage, electricity, comms) are seamlessly transferred to the new pier
- Importance of allowing for and managing vehicle access (including our golf buggy) and providing for better managed parking for contractors, deliveries etc at the kiosk
- Support for development of better toilet facilities near the kiosk
- Support for retention and improvement of the low landing for inshore boat access.
You may wish to use these points or to present other ones, but it is very important that we all make submissions. Parks Victoria have said very clearly that the choice of concept will be based on the public submissions, which are currently running on favour of the curved option.