New Years Eve 2016 was a ripping success.
Naturally the weather cooperated with a beautiful day and evening, allowing us to showcase all the Squadron has to offer for a special event.
177 members and guests (some even came from Brisbane!) enjoyed a fabulous dinner starting with Oysters and Prawns, followed up by a selection of sumptuous mains, and for dessert, petit fors and coffee. After the 9:30 fireworks a selection of tasty gourmet sliders were available for patrons at the “Rooftop Dance Club” .
Commodore Marcus announced the surprise door prizes to the delight of several lucky winners.
No RMYS event is complete without the Bundy/Veuve toss, which had great participation and some well fought contests.
Dancing sprung up on two levels with patrons cheering on our dinner soloist David to keep singing rock classics in the Harbour Room. Others kicked off the raucous roof top dance party with DJ Emma who played a set list that kept everybody dancing and singing along.
Midnight was embraced with our own New Year countdown, spectacular Melbourne fireworks, sparklers, poppers, (maybe a few kisses?), and much more dancing.
Every special event requires dedicated effort before, during and after to ensure success. Heartfelt thanks are owing:
- Adam and his Food & Desire team provided attentive service with first class food and drinks, not to mention sponsoring the Bundy and Veuve prizes! The bar setup on the roof was the best ever.
- Jan was the rock of the MSC committee and ran tirelessly throughout the event to make sure we had everything we needed.
- Todd the “Bundy Toss Master” ensured an opportunity for everybody to start to mix and mingle.
- Chappy had his camera clicking all night so expect a great photo gallery addition.
- Salute to our generous door prize sponsors Manzoni Accessories, Harvey Norman Commercial, InComm Australia and Maui Jim sunglasses.
- Organizers on staff, GC, MSC, (past and present) who were critical to the long-range planning, as well as active execution of the event.
Several people came forward asking how to contribute to future successful social activities. The (new) Member Service Committee would be delighted add to a “Swat Team” of members who want to volunteer for future social events. Volunteering is the best way to fully embrace being part of the RMYS community, meet people and get the most of your membership. Season open/footy final, World Cup and NYE are but a handful of recent success based on active member participation. There is no need to commit to regular meetings (unless you want to). Participate a little, or fully chair an event…we welcome you at any level! Interested? Email Jan at Members@rmys.com.au to get on the team.
YOUR Member Services Committee