RMYS is again the partner club in the SWC occupying the St Kilda Sailing Precinct which stretches from the Sea Baths, St Kilda Beach and north to take in the entirety of Catani Gardens. As this is the World Cup Final, the most elite sailors in the world will be competing to a sailing and race management standard to rival the Olympics.
Approximately six racecourses will operate and RMYS is working with Black Rock YC to run one course. We will be racing keelboats on the Wednesday night as usual, however it will be part of the SWC program and we would like as many boats on the water as we can to take people sailing.
We would really appreciate your assistance, as volunteers are required for on-water race management tasks plus numerous off-water activities such as:
- Race management – these are specific positions with relevant skills and experience required.
- Para Sailing guidance
- Marina assistance
- Hosting post-race volunteer refreshments
- Coordinating distribution of volunteer lunches
- Golf buggy drivers
- Boat maintenance assistance
- RMYS merchandise and promotion stand
- Wednesday night boat and crew coordination
- Boat washing supervision and assistance
- Lots more we haven’t thought of!
Each one of the above needs a captain and a team and we probably need 60+ people to do this properly. Your involvement can be as little or as much as you are able. Some tasks will require shifts, so don’t worry if you only have a few hours – your assistance will be welcomed and appreciated. We will assemble all volunteers in early October and allocate teams and tasks. Please send me an email if you would like to be an RMYS SWC volunteer either off or on the water. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.