In May 1924 His Majesty King George V conferred on the Club the prefix ‘Royal’. With membership increasing, the Club had once more outgrown its facilities and celebrated its Golden Jubilee with the opening of a new clubhouse on 23rd October 1926, the Foundation Stone having been laid by the Governor General, Lord Stonehaven. This building, refurbished and extended, is the home of RMYS today.
Soon after the opening, more than 1,200 members and visitors were at the Club when the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth), landed at St Kilda. One of the most momentous years in the Club’s history was 1956, when Melbourne hosted the Olympic Games. Royal St Kilda Yacht Club was chosen as the Executive Headquarters for the yachting section of the Games and the victory ceremony and presentation of medals took place on the lawns.
The Royal St Kilda Yacht Club amalgamated with the St Kilda 14 ft Sailing Club on 6th November 1961, an historic day for the Club as it also officially changed its name to the Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron. (Article extracted from Pg 8, Official RMYS Club Brochure 2016 - 2017)
To read more check out our official club brochure online www.rmys.com.au/club-brochure.html